Sunday, July 20, 2008

Gelati Quest


This summer I has been about a couple of things for me:

  1. Cheap Chinese massage
  2. the falafel at Taim, and
  3. finding the best gelato in the city
So far I have hit three palces, there are more in the cards, I just need to do some cardio to work off the first three.

  1. L'Arte Del Gelato

I have been going to the 75 7th ave location (between Bleeker and W4th). The have great traditional gelato. The flavors like panna cotta, tiramisu, and Nutella. Some of the flavors are a little more on the fun side (like yogurt) but really they are all time tested winners.

They also have a location in the Chelsea Market.

2. Cones



Cones (272 Bleecker St) is not gelato, but ice cream. I went at the suggestion of a friend. It was great classic American style ice cream. It was dense for ice cream and fatty. It was some of the best ice cream I have tasted (the mocha chocolate chip was excelent), but in all I prefer gelato. It has less air, less fat and is served 15 degrees warmer. All these things help give it a stronger flavor.

3. Il Laboratorio Del Gelato


I have been meaning to go to this place for a while (95 Orchard St. between Broome & Delancey Sts). I got an assignment from Conde Nast yesterday that got me in the neighborhood and I couldn't resist. I went with my editor. The guy behind the counter was like a gelato sommelier. It took 7 minutes and twice as many tastings to decide on a flavor. I went with fresh fig. My editor went with tarragon with pink pepper. Both were amazing. The fig started off as nothing much, but after 15 seconds the flavor grows and becomes intense.

The place is true to it's name. They are a lab with strange and fantastic flavors like buttermilk and Guinness. If you are in the mood for a wild experience stop by and have whatever odd flavors they have out.

No comments: