Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chic Dessert; Champagne Sorbet


This weekend I was running around the city with a friend.  We were cruising around in his new (very fancy) BMW 7 series.  The car has amazing pickup and handles like I imagine a fighter jet would.  It was great for sitting in traffic in Chinatown, which is what we did.  All so that I could take him to Il Laboratorio.  

There was a line, but it wasn't too bad.  My friend turned to me and said "just so you know, I don't do lines."  It was his way of saying that it better be good.  I knew it would be.  

I got Tarragon with Pink Pepper, Black Fig, and Rum Raisin that was like kissing a pirate (a cute one) with raisins stuck in his teeth.  Intense, and unnerving, but kinda sweet.

My friend got, among other things, Champagne Sorbet.  It was, like all their flavors, spot on.  It started of grapey, and had all of the alcoholic bite at the finish.  It would make an elegant end to a meal.  I was thinking it would work well with fruit.  He mentioned ginger sugar.  Please post a comment if you have any ideas of what would work well with Champagne Sorbet.

About three bites in, my friend conceded that it was worth the wait.


No comments: