Monday, January 21, 2008

I love this Green Tea

I am a fan of green tea. I don't drink coffee, or regular tea that often. I decided to try different green teas and I fell in love with this one.

It is called Genmai Cha. It is warm, light, and nutty in flavor. It is made from green tea leaves, toasted and popped brown rice and sometimes matcha (another green tea in powdered form.)

I get it from www.japanesegreenteaonline.com. They blend it with matcha and it adds something to it.

I started looking for Japanese green tea cause I found out that it has more health benefits then green tea from China. Also it is the type used in most studies that tell us how great green tea is. My only exposure to green tea was in Chinese restaurants. This was totally different and much better.

I found Japanese green tea light, grassy and smooth. It wasn't at all bitter. There are a couple of tricks to make it properly.
  • Let the water cool for 4-5 minutes. The water needs to be hot, but not boiling. Letting it cool for a few minutes does the trick.
  • Brew the tea for 1-4 minutes. Leaving it in longer will make it bitter. I brew a bunch and then put it in a thermos
That's all it takes. When you read about the beneficial effects on the Japanese they talk about how people drink like 5 cups a day. It seems like a lot, but when made properly it is really nice to drink.

Enjoy!

No comments: